The word Chavurah comes from the word chaver, meaning friend. A Chaverim is a small group of individuals who gather together for a variety of reasons: to socialize, celebrate Jewish holidays, learn more about Judaism, and participate in social action projects.
Most importantly, a Chaverim provides an opportunity for you to meet others who share your values and interests.
- Enjoy the beauty of Shabbat with each other – come to one of our “Shabbat Chaverim” Dinners
- Celebrate Jewish holidays together
- Study together
- Participate as a group in social action projects
- Travel together
- Pray together
- Your Chaverim in some respects becomes your extended family
- Chaverim create secure and constant ties to our Jewish community
- Chaverim help Judaism remain a constant source of joy in your life
An important part of our Temple Emanuel community is sharing our lives together. We are always looking for new ways to create more Chaverim or a new circle of friends.
What might a Chaverim do together?
- Come together for relaxing potluck Shabbat dinners or holiday celebrations
- Celebrate life cycle events together
- Help support and comfort one another during times of illness or loss
- Gather informally for a Parents Night Out or Sunday softball
- Play Mah Jongg with each other
- Join the Sisterhood, Men’s Club or one of the Temple Committees and create new friendships.
- Bring your children to the Temple’s Tot Shabbat programs
- Lead a Shabbat or Special Service as a group
- Go out for dinner, cultural events, excercise/golf/swim, ride motorcycles, collect artwork/coins/stamps or take day trips
Chaverim allows us to feel connected to a small group of friends, support one another during important moments of our lives, and share meals and experiences together while building meaningful friendships. If you would like to join a Chavurah or have an idea to start a new one, please contact the Temple Office.
Whether you are new Empty Nesters, a Single Parent, a Young Couple or Recently Retired, we want to match you with others who have similar interests and help you create new and lasting friendships. We hope you let us know you’d like to be involved.